"Sandy was the greatest God-given talent in history. If everyone in the world was playing their best, Sandy would win and I'd come second." Ballesteros
A two-time Major Champion, Sandy Lyle MBE, is widely regarded as one of Britain’s best-loved golfers, a family man and a true Scotsman.’ After a 19 year wait for a tournament victory, Lyle won the inaugural ISPS Handa Senior World Championship presented by Mission Hills China in 2011, having started the season strongly by finishing runner up in Australia and tied fifth in Japan.
Inaugurated into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 2012 for his achievements across a stellar career.
Rolled back the years with a vintage performance at the 2009 Masters Tournament, producing four majestic rounds to finish tied 20th at Augusta National. It was his best finish at the Masters Tournament since he claimed the Green Jacket in 1988 and was the highlight of a 2009 season.
One of Europe’s big five during the 1980s along with Seve Ballesteros, Sir Nick Faldo, Bernhard Langer and Woosnam, who took the golfing world by storm. Becoming the first Briton to win The Open Championship since Tony Jacklin in 1969 when he lifted the Claret Jug in 1985 at Royal St George’s. Three years later, he also became the first Briton to win the Masters Tournament when he triumphed at Augusta National in 1988, famously hitting a stunning seven iron from the bunker on the last to set up a winning birdie.
A teenage prodigy who made his international amateur debut at 14, a prolific winner before turning professional in 1977. Went on to win 18 European Tour events.
You can send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Off the course
Introduced into golf by his father, Alex, who had taken the family from Scotland to England in 1955 when he became resident professional at Hawkstone Park golf course. Their family home was just 40 yards from the pro-shop and 18th green.
- NameAlexander Walter Barr Lyle MBE
- Born9 February 1958, Shrewsbury, England
- SpouseJolande Lyle (m.1989)
- ChildrenStuart (b. 1983)
James (b. 1986)
Alexandra Lonneke (b. 1993)
Quintin (b. 1995)
- HomeBalquhidder, Perthshire
2 Major Championships, 6 PGA Tour Titles, 18 European Tour Victories, 30 Worldwide Wins and 5 Ryder Cup Appearances.
PGA TOUR VICTORIES
- 1988Kmart Greater Greensboro Open
- 1988Phoenix Open
- 1987Tournament Players Championship
- 1986Greater Greensboro
- 1985British Open
EUROPEAN SENIOR TOUR VICTORIES
- 2011ISPS Handa Senior World Championship
- 2014World Hickory Open
- 1984Kapalua International
- 1984Casio World Open
- 1979Scottish Professional Championship
- 1978Nigerian Open
EUROPEAN TOUR VICTORIES
- 1992Volvo Masters
- 1992Lancia Martini Italian Open
- 1991BMW International Open
- 1988Suntory World Match Play
- 1988Dunhill British Masters
- 1987German Masters
- 1985Benson and Hedges International Open
- 1985The 114th Open Golf Championship
- 1984Lancome Trophy
- 1984Italian Open
- 1983Cepsa Madrid Open
- 1982Lawrence Batley International
- 1981Lawrence Batley International
- 1981Paco Rabanne Open de France
- 1980Coral Welsh Classic
- 19792nd European Open Championship
- 1979Scandinavian Enterprise Open
- 1979B.A./Avis Open